March 30, 2010

Read This!

No Name by Wilkie Collins

Last year Mr. and I read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and I couldn’t put it down (although I thought some of the ending was a bit farfetched). We followed it up with his novel The Moonstone, also a good read. So when I was at Borders and saw yet another Wilkie Collins book, I couldn’t pass it up…. And No Name did not disappoint. I could not put this book down. The gist of the story is that the heroine and her sister have both their parents die, find out they are illegitimate, and are pretty much left out on the street “cheated” of their inheritance. The younger sister vows revenge and the book follows her quest to reclaim said inheritance. I loved it because while the heroine is legally in the wrong and the person on whom she seeks revenge is legally in the right, you don’t know who to cheer for.

I would also like to note that it says on the back of my copy that this book was seen as scandalous and censored in Victorian England. After reading the book, I am not sure what all the fuss is about. Oh how society has changed…..

No comments: