She Said: I have been hearing a lot of hype about this movie and last night Mr. and I got it On Demand although I have to confess that it was the shortest movie out of the possible contenders and, after our DQ run, it was one of the only ones that would be done in time for the news. That being said, a quick plot summary is that it is the story of a man, Tom, looking for his soul mate and Summer, the girl he is with who explicitly says she does not want to be in a relationship (sounds like two other people I know HA!). This is not a typical love story and it goes forward and backwards in time explaining the ups and downs of the relationship of the two main characters. I have to say, towards the end, I was getting annoyed because while I really liked this movie throughout, I thought the end would be really lame. It wasn’t. It did not disappoint and I would really recommend this movie. It kept me interested, the story was good, and it was also funny. How could it be bad?
He Said: Like Mrs., I’d heard positive things about (500) Days of Summer. So when she asked if I wanted to watch it last night I said yes (it also didn’t hurt that my other choice was The Young Victoria). The narrator says at the beginning that this isn’t a love story, and I can’t say I agree with that. It’s a love story, just not a traditional love story. Tom’s character is probably closer to what actual men are like then most male leads in movies. And Summer? Well, she’s uniquely Summer. I’ll say that this is definitely the kind of movie I enjoy. Just different enough, between the jumping to different points in the story that Mrs. mentioned, to the various narrative techniques like simultaneously showing a scene with what actually happened and what Tom had imagined would happen. Like Mrs., about ¾’s of the way through I was already starting to critique the ending in my head, but then boom, like Tom getting hit in the stomach (figuratively), it all made sense in an almost perfect way. It’s well written and well acted, and I definitely recommend seeing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment