Finally done with War
and Peace, I could go back to my normal books. Hooray!
On the eve of 1938, Katey Kontent and her friend Eve,
randomly meet the wealthy and handsome banker, Tinker Grey. This meeting will result in a domino effect
of events which moves these two everyday girls into New York high society
leaving their lives and Tinker’s changed forever.
Katey is the narrator of the story. Her observations about society were
spot-on and at times humorous (not in a HA HA kind of way but a more sardonic one) and her poise and cool-headedness put me to shame.
The author really set the scene of what life
was like for Katey and Eve. They live in
a boarding house where they share a room and bed with one another and clothes and
a bathroom with all their boarding housemates.
There is a curfew where the matron shuts the door and locks you out for
the night. Got to keep the ladies in
good morals I guess. I also found the details
of Katey’s job in the legal firm and how much she had to type nuts. Can you imagine sitting all day typing
away? Oh wait… Yeah I guess I can. But what I can’t imagine is being handed a
thousand pages to retype as a copy.
Yikes! 1930s life may not have been for me.
Lastly, there were some good one-liners in the book. I think my favorite was paraphrased: “The
problem with being from New York is that you have no New York to escape to”.
No comments:
Post a Comment