April 21, 2011

Home for My iPhone- Follow Up

As I mentioned in previous post on this topic, I was not happy with the amount of padding produced by my first iPhone attempt. So this is attempt 2.

Instead of 2 pieces of 3x5 batting, I used 4 pieces of 2.5x4.5 batting. The rest of the measurements and supplies are the same. Changes to round 1 are bolded.

I did attempt a new way to close the top since I ran into problems last time. Here is what I did for round 2.

1. Cut fabric so that you have 4 pieces of 6 x 4.25 inch fabric and 4 2.5 x 4.5 inches of batting.


2. Pin the two outside fabric pieces together with the right sides facing in.

3. Pin the two lining fabric pieces together with the right sides facing in.

4. Sew a 5/8 inch seam around three of the four sides of both the lining and outside fabrics leaving the top open. Leave an inch or so unsewn toward the top on both sides.

Make sure if your fabric has a direction you don’t sew the top accidentally.




5. Trim the seam down to about a ¼ inch for both. I also trimmed the corners to eliminate bulk.

6. Take the extra scrap and fold it in on both sides and then in again. Sew a line down the middle.

7. Pin the inside of the outside fabric top to the inside of the lining. Right sides face in. Pin the piece of fabric in step 6 folded in half with the ends sticking into the seam. Sew across this about a 1/2 inch seam.

Fold the other sides of both fabrics down. You don't want to sew these other two sides.


If this seems confusing. Here is a visual for what this will look like when you are done.




8. Line up the batting on the lining to make sure it will fit within the seam.


9. Put two piece of batting on the inside of the seam you just sewed in step 6.



10. This is going to be confusing so it may help if you look at the pic in step 7.

The green fabric is the lining. The blue is the outside.

Take the lining fabic with the batting next to it on the side with the sewn top seam and shove it into the pocket created by the sewn outside fabric. It is kind of like folding socks.

In the end, you should have the lining inside the outside fabric on the side with the loop and sewn top seam.


11. At this point I sewed the button on about an inch and a quarter from the top to the outside fabric only on the unsewn side.

12. Fold the unsewn top pieces of the case in about a ½ inch and pin.

13. Hand sew the open sides and the open top shut. Now, I did try to sew the open sides with the sewing machine but I didn't backstitch and the stitches fell out so I ended up hand-sewing them. If you can sew the side seams with the machine, more power to you.

14. So at this point, I was done! Voila!




No comments: