Long post ahead!
If you’ll recall back in May, after returning from Hawaii, Mr. and I got sick from campylobacter. The weekend after Hawaii we were supposed to go to BFF J’s wedding. Alas, it was not to be. We had to cancel and so were stuck with flight credits we had to use before January. We decided to use the credits to go to New Orleans. Neither of us had been and both of us were intrigued. So we recently hopped a jet to The Big Easy and spent a long weekend basking in beautiful 85 degree weather while it rained and was cold up here.
I planned this vaca pretty much from top to bottom because Mr. has been overwhelmed with work and some other things so if it sounds like it stinks, you can avoid hiring me for your tour guide.
We stayed at the Hotel Monteleone in the French Quarter. It is one of the premier haunted hotels in America. I confess I didn’t see any ghosts but I did hear loud banging in the hall during the night and woke up to our neighbor having a liaison next door. Old hotels have thin walls. Everyone, let’s remember that. Either way, I didn’t sleep well the whole time I was there due to the ghosts, the cold Mr. gave me, or the booze, who knows?
Our time at the HM was well spent. It is located in a great area. Far enough away from Bourbon Street to weed out undesirables but close enough to the action as to be in the heart of the French Quarter. Our street was covered in antique shops where I confess to dragging Mr. to try to find some jewelry to buy. I didn’t end up purchasing anything but still fun.
The HM is doing renovations right now so to comp their guests, they provide free continental breakfast. YEAH! I wish more American hotels would get on board with free breakfast. We also got free bottles of water. YEAH!
Last but not least, the HM has a nice pool on its roof. It was great after a hot day running around to come back for a swim. The only complaint I would have is that I wish no one under 18 was allowed and that people would learn that just because you enjoy smoking your cigar doesn’t mean I do.
Day 1
We did Frommer’s walking tour of the French Quarter. Our goal for this vaca was to eat our faces off (Separate blog on this. Mr. has decided to grace us with his presence and do that post.) and rest. So day 1, we slept in, got our free breakfast and eventually around 11, headed out to look around the French Quarter. I thought the walking tour would be a good way to see sights and give us direction. We had a good time with it. It was like a treasure hunt.
Before going to New Orleans, everyone told me that it was smelly and dirty and they hated it. I was surprised at how undirty it was. I think New York is a much bigger cesspool and smells a heck of a lot worse.
Some highlights on our tour:
After a day sweating in the hot sun, we retreated back to our hotel for a dip in the pool.
I was in bed before 9.
Note: Don’t wear a maxi dress around the French Quarter. I want to burn mine now.
Day 2
Our first stop was LaFayette Cemetery No. 1. All of the things I read said the cemeteries are spots for muggers and to take a tour because people like to hide between the tombs and jump out and steal your stuff. We took the Save Our Cemeteries tour. I enjoyed this because our tour guide had a ton of info and explained a lot about the cemetery’s history and the whole above ground burial business. It’s kind of crazy.
They say this tomb was not used and you have the option to go inside and take your pic. We declined. Too spooky. And yes, I am a brunette again.
After the cemetery tour, we took the Frommer’s walking tour of the Garden District. I LOVE LOVE LOVE old houses so this was right up my alley. Mr. seemed to like it too. Here are some pics:
After this, we went back to the FQ, ate beignets, and swam.
I was in bed before 8. Yeah!
Day 3
Mr. and I rented a car and drove to Oak Alley Plantation. I accidentally signed my maiden name on our rental car agreement. Oops. I guess New Orleans was getting into my blood. Laissez les bons temps rouler!!!!
I dream of doing a big southern plantation tour someday and this was a good start. The house was surprisingly small on the inside but had good history and sights. The inside tours run every half hour this time of year and last about a ½ an hour.
We skipped the swim when we returned and went souvenir shopping instead.
I was in bed before 9 again. Party!
Alas, we are now back in the cold, Yankee north but we enjoyed our trip below the Mason-Dixon. Me because I got to have Mr. all to myself for a few days. I am selfish like that. And Mr. because he got to eat about 10 dozen shrimp before I cut him off.
We are looking forward to our next trip South. Charleston, you are calling our name.











No comments:
Post a Comment