September 21, 2011

Trying to Eliminate Sun Spots... And Failing...

I admit it.  I have sunspots.  Very very light ones and only a couple that are viewable when I have my see-it-from-space lighted, magnifying make-up mirror open (I like to think anyways).  Thank you sunshine and old age!

I have never been a huge fan of the sun because I burn easily and overall I am not an outdoor gal so I am going to take this as my lot in life for spending 33 years covered in sunscreen and wearing hats.

I want to stop these spots before they darken into blech and I would really like to have my complexion go back to all its fair, unblemished, loveliness (ha ha) so I have been diligently trying to get rid of said spots.  Beginning in December I have tried the following products (all thumbs down):


I went high-end first with Bliss’ Peeling Groovy Facial Serum.  The first few days of this were fab and I noticed a change for the much better in my complexion overall. However, shortly thereafter, my skin started misbehaving and so I had to stop. Spots still there but since I only gave it two weeks or so, it is hard to judge if it actually would have worked. 

Next, I tried to go more drugstore brand because I didn’t want to spend another fortune on a product that was not right for me. I use all Neutrogena products on my face and have for years so I tried Ageless Intensives Tone Correcting Night Concentrate.  I had high hopes but alas, within a couple of weeks, I was getting welts on my cheeks. I would think from the retinol? So it had to go the way of the serum. Spots still there.

After being coerced by their commercial I decided to buy Garnier Skin Renew Clinical Dark Spot Corrector. I thought because this has vitamin C not retinol that I would be OK and not have the issues I had with Neutrogena. Alas, for the past week, I kept lamenting to Mr. that I didn’t understand why my face was breaking out (unusual for me) and I finally put two and two together and stopped using this. Ugg. At least my skin has begun to clear up even if I am still spotted.

I guess I will try something else? Maybe something proven for sensitive skin which I must have if I am having these issues? Right?  Ugg. I think I might go to the Clinique counter next and ask them about their dark spot corrector whose ad I recently ripped out of Real Simple.  After that I am tapped and maybe should consider investing in lots of concealer instead?


No comments: