March 15, 2012

Jupiter and Venus Conjunction

In case you haven't heard, there is a Jupiter and Venus conjunction going on.  Tonight should be the best display of it.  However, last night Mr. and I were out walking and when we saw them in the sky:

Me: Hey!  Look there are Jupiter and Venus!
Mr.:  Uh that is not.
Me: Yes it is!
Mr. (side-eyeing me): No, it's not.

I will save you from the perils of the following conversation but Mr. was subjected to a nice lesson about the planets and how Venus is the brightest thing in the night sky (among planets and stars at least) etc. etc. etc. based on my two semesters of astronomy in college.  I will confess that my co-worker has posted a pic of Jupiter and Venus a few days ago so I was already in the know.

We rarely see even stars because we are city folk so I was quite excited over this and snapped a shot with my phone:



Venus is on the right, Jupiter on the left. 

So go out tonight and see some planets!  Don't say you didn't know.

No comments: