March 28, 2012

Read This!: Moloka'i


By Alan Brennert

Last year I read Alan Brennert’s book HonoluluMoloka’i seemed to get more acclaim but when I read was it was about, it didn’t really appeal to me.  But then, as I ended up really liking Honolulu, I decided to give it a try.

Rachel Kalama is a young girl living on the island of Honolulu when it is discovered that she has contracted leprosy.   In the late 19th century (when this story begins), those who tested positive for leprosy were sent to a “colony” on the island of Moloka’i.  As a result, Rachel is sent there alone while her family is left to face the impact of the prejudice and fears of their neighbors.  Determined that one day she will be cured and will get to leave the colony, Rachel never gives up hope even as death surrounds her and the people she loves are taken away. 

Before I started this book, I didn’t know much about leprosy or Hansen’s Disease (its modern name).  After some research on Wikipedia, I was surprised to learn that it is a bacterial infection and doesn’t make your body parts fall off (like the nuns said in school).  That is a secondary effect to all the nerve damage.  Today, Hansen’s Disease can be cured with some antibiotics which is kind of nuts considering what victims were subjected to and now they can just take a pill and call it a day.

Either way, I thought this story would be depressing with not much going on which is why I didn’t choose to read it at first.  But, I was wrong.  Rachel’s leads a very full life, almost “normal”, even if she is imprisoned on Moloka’i.  On top of this, there is an emotional element which stems from the death and despair around her.   I confess I liked this book better than Honolulu and would recommend.

PS Also interesting to note: On Moloka'i's website for tourism, it discusses how it was a colony for Hansen's Disease.  I thought this was somewhat amusing since most people probably don't know that Hansen's Disease = leprosy.  But, if they put "previously the site of a leper colony" on there, tourism may diminish.

No comments: