May 13, 2012

Thousand Dollar Bars

I found these Thousand Dollar Bars on Pinterest and I liked all of the parts so I figured how could I go wrong?

I followed the instructions pretty closely.

I made the shortbread on Thursday night and then Friday did both the caramel and the chocolate.  Regardless of my last debacle with parchment paper, I used that instead of greasing the pan.  No fires.  Yeah!  I let this delicacy cool overnight in the fridge and the next day cut it up into little pieces.  This was smart (patting myself on the back) because these were super rich and small pieces were the way to go.

I originally thought I would cut them and individually dip them like Twix bars but I didn't have the energy.  However, they were good like this (little pieces with cookie and caramel displayed) because the chocolate would melt all over your hands otherwise.

The one mistake I made was not to keep this chilling in the fridge.  After sitting out all day the caramel got too soft and started oozing out the sides.  Oops.

Overall though, these were a crowd pleaser.  Win!

No comments: