October 8, 2012

Read This!: The Book Thief

By Markus Zusak

Recently, Mr. “snuck” in a purchase of 4 or 5 books from Amazon. When they arrived, he was showing them to me (aka ‘fessing up) and while I had no interest in any of the other books (as suspected), I had heard of The Book Thief and said I would read that. And so I did.

Note: I am giving Mr. a bit of a hard time because he doesn’t ever like to buy stuff for himself so buying these books was a major deal in our household. 

The Book Thief is narrated by Death who recounts the story of Liesel Meminger, a girl with a proclivity towards stealing books, who lives with her foster parents in Nazi Germany.  She and her foster parents are poor and are just trying to survive but in the midst of everything, they attempt to do what they know is right leading Liesel to form a life-changing friendship.

Technically this is a young adult book but I didn't think it read as a kid's book. The subject matter was sophisticated, the characters were well-developed, and the overall premise with Death as the narrator and the general style was creative to say the very least.  All in all, the story was engaging and I found it hard to put down.

No comments: