October 15, 2012

Read This!: Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog

Book challenge:  Book with animal in the title

By Lisa Scottoline
I needed a book for the challenge for the animal category and my aunt suggested this one because she had heard some good things about it.  I read about it on Amazon and decided, why not?

Lisa Scottoline is a mystery writer but also writes a weekly column called Chick Wit for the Philadelphia Inquirer.  This book was a compilation of her columns.
Having never heard of her before, I wasn’t sure what exactly this book would be like.  I like essay books generally because if anything, they make me think that if I had the time and was less lazy, I could write one of my own thus achieving my childhood dream of writing a book.  

Anyways… 

This book was both humorous and heart felt.  I liked hearing about Lisa’s life, her dogs and pony and chicks, her family, etc.  Some of the references were lost on me and at times, I felt I was too young to really appreciate her views. (She is in her 50s.)  There were a lot of short chapters (one per each column) and it did drag a bit.  I was feeling through with reading this book and wanted to get on to a work a fiction with a story.  I don’t know if would have been better to have less chapters or for me to read it piece-meal and not in one-go.  I think reading a bit here and there would have saved that feeling.

Two things did come out of my reading this:

1.    The chapter on King Tut was right-on.  I actually made Mr. read this one.  Mr., my aunts, my uncle, and I went to the King Tut exhibit when it was here years ago.  On completion of the exhibit, some of us had the exact same reaction.   I won’t go into details so as not to ruin the punchline but there was a general outcry from me, at least one of my aunts, and Mr. of “HUH????”

2.       Lisa Scottoline is a mystery writer.  I had never head of her but I think I might have to pick up one of her books.  You all know how I love mysteries.

No comments: