May 15, 2013

Don't Read This!: Night Watch

By Terry Pratchett
 
 
Book challenge: On the BBC list
 
 
I picked this book because it was one of the few on the BBC list I hadn't read.
 
 
Night Watch is part of the Discworld series. I had never heard of that series and don't know what its deal is but I thought I would mention it.
 
 
Sam Vimes is the head of the Ankh-Morpork city watch. While fighting an enemy, he and the enemy are transported back in time thirty years. In this past, Ankh-Morpork is less than a desirable place to live. A revolution is on its way and Vimes is soon caught up in it while pursuing the enemy, mentoring his younger self, and trying to get home.
 
 
This book stunk. I do not like fantasy or "trying too hard" humor. I felt this book could have been a lot shorter if it hadn't been for all the shenanigans that weren't needed. There were also no chapters. How annoying is that? I need chapters. I kept getting lost because suddenly the author would be talking about someone else and I would have no idea what was happening.
 
 
I disliked ths book so much that I relooked at the list from BBC which was supposed to be the favorite books in the UK. I couldn't imagine I had picked up the right book. But it looks like I did. I guess the Brits and I have different opinions on what a favorite book should consist of.

No comments: