By Louisa May Alcott
Book Challenge: Childhood Favorite
So, again, when trying to pick a childhood favorite, I had a bit
of a hard time. I didn’t want to ruin my opinion of books I LOVED as a kid and
eventually settled on one of my favorite but not my FAVORITE Louisa May Alcott
book.
An Old-Fashioned Girl tells the story of a poor country girl Polly
who comes to stay with her wealthy friend Fanny in Boston. While there she is
struck by the fashion and glitz of Fanny’s house, friends, and the city. But,
pretty Polly doesn’t despair. She wins everyone over with her kindness and open
nature. Six years later, Polly returns to Boston to live as a music teacher. Through it all she sticks to her old-fashioned
up-bringing even when she is tempted to do otherwise.
Now, I dislike books that lecture on anything and I felt Polly was
a little too good now that I read AOFG as a grown-up and frankly, her constant
killing the party vibe with her stories about poverty would have not got her on
the invite list to my next soiree.
That aside, I did enjoy rereading this story. I read this book a hundred times as a kid that
it was crazy how much I didn’t remember and how much on the other hand it was like hanging with an old friend. Even though I knew
what was coming, I still loved the last chapter because it still gets me with the romantic tension!
No comments:
Post a Comment