It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything about Mad Men. Mrs. and I missed a couple of episodes when we were on vacation and then had to catch up and the next thing I know the season is over. But Season 6 went out with a bang, as the finale was one of the best episodes of the whole series. The season overall might not have been the strongest of the series’ run, but I really did enjoy it. It’s amazing that I have yet to be disappointed by a Mad Men season, continuing to prove it belongs as one of the best (if not the best) dramas of all-time.
The Season 6 finale provided some surprises (Don’s firing) and changes (Pete and Ted’s move to California) and so it’s going to be interesting to see what direction Matt Weiner and the writers go in for the final season. As I see it, the show can go in two directions. I could see a scenario where the focus shifts from SC&P in New York to the new office in California. This would mean that Ted and Pete would factor heavily in the action. And if they move the time forward enough the office in California could be a success and we could see a few others out there (Harry for sure, and maybe Roger or Joan?). With Don out at SC&P (assuming this isn’t a temporary thing) we would obviously also have him in California in this scenario, either to chase Megan (if she indeed went to California to pursue her career) or just to get away from New York.
The more likely scenario though is that the action stays in New York and in this case I assume that Peggy becomes the focus, since next to Don’s, her story is the most interesting and the one we’re invested in. In this case Roger and Joan can stay a part of the overall story without any moves. And we still have Ken, Stan, Ginsberg, and maybe Bob Benson in the office as well. But can this be done without Don coming back to the firm? Or are we going to have another scenario, one where we spend most or all of the season away from SC&P and focus wholly on Don and his existential crisis? In the end we’re going to see a lot of Don either way because Mad Men is ultimately his story.
Some other thoughts on what the future holds for the world of SC&P:
Don
He lost his wife (it would seem) and his job (unless it really was just temporary). But he has started to face who he is. The Hershey pitch and subsequent confession of where he grew up was one of the best scenes the show has ever done. And bringing the kids to the house where he was raised is a step in the right direction. I don’t know if we’ll see Don back at SC&P (although there’s definitely a chance – but I’m more inclined to think he’d end up at a rival firm), but as mentioned above, I could definitely envision a scenario where Don moves out to California, either with Megan or just by himself (he could also end up working in the SC&P California office I suppose). I told Mrs. that I really feel like the best ending for the show would be for Don Draper to die. Not literally, but figuratively with Don giving up the name he stole and returning to his Dick Whitman self. Now I’m not sure what that would mean in terms of the government coming after him, but it seems like that is the closure that Don’s character needs.
The (Ex-) Wives of Don Draper
It’s possible we’ve seen the last of Megan and that when the show returns Don will be divorced yet again. If she does return it could be because without a job Don was able to go with her to California to try to patch things up (or chase her there if he’s trying to get her back). I was one of the (seemingly) few people who liked Megan’s character, but I think her and Don’s relationship is well past the point of saving, so my guess is she won’t be a major player next season. Either way, we’ll always have "Zou Bisou Bisou".
Betty on the other hand should certainly factor in some way into next season. Mrs. called the Don-Betty tryst and I have to say the Betty character really came alive this season. I don’t think we’ll see her and Don together again, but I think we’ll get some closure on their relationship before Don heads out for the rest of his life.
Don’s Kids
There are so many directions that Sally could be headed in. Will she end up on drugs? In counseling? As a hippy? A nun? A horrible mess of an adult? An incredibly successful professional? A Betty clone? A Don clone? There are just so many possibilities. We’ve got Woodstock coming up, but is she old enough to make that trip? What other trouble can Sally Draper potentially get into next season? I’m fascinated by where her story goes.
I think Don has two other kids as well, but the other ones have just been second fiddle to Sally. At least Bobby got some decent play this season with the Planet of the Apes scene and the “Father Abraham” song that stuck in my head for days. Maybe they’ll dust off Gene in Season 7 and throw him a line or two.
The New California Office
It seemingly came out of nowhere that Pete was going to California with Ted (wasn’t it supposed to be a one person office?) But either way he’s off to the sunshine state. The question is how much Pete will we get next season? Love him or hate him (and I guess it’s mostly hate him), Pete has always loomed large. There are two possibilities with Pete, either Season 7 will follow him and Ted (and possibly others) to the California office and he’ll get lots of screen time, or he’ll be relegated to some guest appearances. I can’t imagine a season without Pete and doesn’t he still have to meet his long lost son he had with Peggy? That ship has sailed you say? Yeah, probably.
The one thing that makes me hesitate in thinking we’ll follow SC&P to California is that Ted’s story might be less interesting without the Peggy tension. I like where they took his character, but what’s left? Unlike Pete, Ted hasn’t been a major player since day one, so it’s possible his story is over and we won’t see much or any of him if the action remains in New York.
Those Left in the SC&P New York Office
In a way, the final shot of Peggy in Don’s office, taking his role as creative director, sitting in his chair, and getting the Don Draper back of the head shot like in the credits would be the perfect end for that character (and complete her transformation into the new Don). But there’s no way we’re getting a Season 7 without Pegs, right? So I think that we’ll still get plenty of Peggy even if the action moves to California, with her being the New York perspective. And there’s a pretty good chance (as I mentioned above) that she becomes the focus of Season 7 (after Don of course). My prediction is that her and Don will cross paths again before all is said and done, either at SC&P or just out in the world.
A few characters were a bit of an afterthought this year, with Joan being the biggest of the original cast. Are we to assume that the Avon account came in and it’s hers now? There seemed to be little mention of it after the initial introduction, but if she didn’t get it, was she punished at all? With just one season left I’m not sure what’s left of the Joan story. Maybe she’ll marry Bob? Or Roger? Ginsberg and Dawn also took back seats this year. Both of their characters had potential, but we’re probably not going to get much of them in Season 7, one that necessarily has to revolve around Don.
I’m assuming that unless we spend a lot of time at SC&P, Ken Cosgrove (and his eye patch), Bert, Harry and Cutler and the rest of the CGC remnants won’t get a ton of screen time. But even if we don’t see much of him, doesn’t it just seem like Harry will be spending most of Season 7 at the Playboy mansion?
We don’t need much more Bob Benson, right? Especially now that his secret is out and we know he’s a fraud . . . and that he’s gay . . . or bi . . . or straight and hooking up with Joan . . . or they’re just friends . . . or she’s his beard. Wait, what do we know about Bob?
No matter what happens in Season 7, can we all agree that we need at least one or two Roger Sterling one-liners each episode.
And can we agree that we also need more Stan in Season 7? He definitely won the “most improved” award this year. His beard alone was worth a few laughs.
No comments:
Post a Comment