July 26, 2013

Read This!: The Time In Between

By María Dueñas

Book challenge: Civil war

I found The Time In Between on a list of Spanish Civil War books.  It sounded interesting so I bought it.

Sira is a seamstress in Madrid before the Spanish Civil War when she meets Ramiro.  He is dazzling and soon the two whisk away to Morocco where he shows his true colors leaving Sira penniless in a strange place.  But, she soon rallies and opens a successful atelier.  As the war rages in Spain, Sira devotes herself to her new business and when it is over, she is persuaded to return to Madrid.  WWII has started and Sira finds herself caught up in a world of espionage as she sews clothes for the wives of Nazi officers.

Even though I found this book a bit slow when historical events and background information were conveyed via conversations, overall the story was unique and this was a good work of historical fiction.  My one major complaint was that the relationship with Marcus Logan wasn't really developed in the beginning so the romantic feelings were not organic.  To prevent spoilers, I won't say anymore.  In the end, after reading this, I want to visit Morocco and sew some clothes.






No comments: