May 20, 2014

April- May Reads

Mr. has been keeping up the blog this month so a special shout out to him.  I have been slacking.

Here are some April-May reads:

The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey

Non-Fiction

Catherine Baily shares her real-life account of how she discovered one aristocratic family's secrets.

I thought there would be more to this story, it was a bit heavy in the WWI history, and I have to say I felt guilty reading some of the private correspondence that was included as it seemed a bit personal.
_______________________________

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt

Non-Fiction

Book challenge: NY Times Best Seller.

Berendt depicts his time in Savannah with a colorful cast of characters and a famous murder trial.

I went into this book expecting it to be dark but turns out it was pretty funny and a great read which I highly recommend.
_______________________________

Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck

Fiction- Historical

Book challenge: Main character mentally ill.

Anna, a psychiatric nurse, becomes involved in the lives of Zelda and Scott Fitzgerald while Zelda is under her care. 

I am not sure how true to life some of this book is but I felt sorry for Zelda and her train wreck of a marriage and I also thought that Robuck did a good job with Anna's story, separate from the Fitzgeralds.
_______________________________

1022 Evergreen Place by Debbie Macomber

Fiction 

Book Challenge: Scavenger Hunt

A romance in Cedar Cove blossoms around a shared duplex and newly found WWII letters.

This was typical Debbie: light and easy reading.
_______________________________

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D. H. Lawrence

Fiction

Book challenge: Banned book

Lady Chatterley embarks on a taboo love affair with her husband's grounds-keeper.

Parts of this book were bad, parts of it were good, I got tired of reading about coal mines because who cares? and I could see why it was banned for being risque.

No comments: