So I guess Don didn't have a plan.
Unless the plan was to come in, have things not go his way, overreact, and then get bombed on Roger's vodka. If that was the plan, then it went perfectly.
But . . . at least the episode ended with Don seemingly getting his crap together, thanks to Freddy Rumsen. Freddy Rumsen! Seriously, the guy that wet his pants is now giving motivational speeches to the guy who gave the Carousel speech. Now Don needs to use Freddy's example to clean up his act.
A few other random thoughts:
The best part of the episode was Don staring down Peggy when she assigns him the task of writing tag lines. Seriously, I think he was trying to kill her with his eyes. I told you that man can say it all through a facial expression. Give Jon Hamm an Emmy already.
The big news was of course SC&P getting a computer. Although with no e-mail, Twitter, Facebook or blogs in 1969, I'm not sure what they're going to use it for.
That diabolical Lou. Pitting Draper and Olson against each other. Hoping they'll bring about each other's downfall. He's like a master criminal that one.
So I get that everyone hates Don or something, but what is Bert Cooper's problem? The old man is only where he is because of Don. You think he'd be a bit more professional.
Did anyone else assume that Roger would end up living at the commune with his daughter?
Peggy as Don's boss. Priceless. Way to go writers.
Mrs. pointed out to me that the moon landing takes place in July of 1969, so it's likely that happens around the end of Season 7, Part I. In three episodes to be exact.
There were several shots of Lane's Mets banner that Don found and hung up. The Mets were an expansion team in MLB in 1962 that was always at the bottom of the standings, and then in 1969 the team dubbed the "Miracle Mets" went on to surprise everyone and win the World Series. Is that symbolic of Don's rise from the bottom to win?
I've been enjoying this season and Mrs. and I were noting that the episodes have been filled with a sense of dread as to what might happen. First you had Don walking down the hall to meet with the partners in the previous episode, unsure of his fate. And then in this episode after Don got drunk, you kept waiting for someone to discover him and that be the end of the Draper comeback. That suspense is what makes the show great.
No comments:
Post a Comment