May 18, 2014

The Movie Trailer Post


I’m a sucker for movie trailers.  Most of the time I like them more than the actual movies.  Mrs. knows that I will watch trailers for almost any new movie coming out (usually while she sleeps on the couch) despite the fact that we see very few actual movies.  Just yesterday I watched the trailers for Godzilla (surprising it looks entertaining if you’re into the whole big budget action flick – I might not be the target audience), Maleficent (I’m not a huge Angelina Jolie fan, but I liked this trailer and it looks pretty good if you’re into the whole fantasy adventure thing – I probably will still never see it), and Interstellar (looks intriguing if Gravity wasn’t enough to satisfy your need for space movies – although it might be trying a bit too hard on the emotional front).

In the last year some of my favorite trailers were for Her (a man in love with his computer/phone – or the story of everyone on earth right now), Gravity (if only because it gave me a panic attack), and Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (a movie with Casey Affleck that I had never heard of, but discovering new movies is why I watch trailers.)

The key to a great movie trailer comes down to three things:

1) No voiceovers

You know, like “In a world . . . “, or anything that attempts to explain what you’re seeing, “Bob thought he had a normal life . . . “  It’s just totally unnecessary.  A good trailer shows me a sneak peak at the movie; it doesn’t explain the movie to me with a disembodied deep voice.

2) Keeping some mystery alive

Don’t give the whole plot away in the trailer.  This probably seems obvious, but so many (often bad) movies have all of the jokes and/or action in the trailer.  Ok, so that guys dies and that’s the killer and wow a cameo by Tom Cruise!  I prefer a trailer that ends with me thinking, “What is that all about?” and causes me to add it to the list of movies I want to (but never will) see.   Pique my interest; don’t show me a 3-minute version of the movie.

3) The music

Probably the most important part.  I’m only watching for a few minutes and you’re trying to intrigue me to see the movie – for God’s sake make the music count!  I would love to have a job where I could just pick music out for trailers.

Anyway, all of this was an excuse to do two things – share my favorite movie trailers and discuss the new teaser trailer for Wish I Was Here, the new Zach Braff film coming out later this year.

First, the recently released teaser trailer (about half as long as the eventual full-length trailer) for Wish I Was Here hits all of my points above perfectly.  No voiceover?  Check.  Mystery?  Yep, not sure what it's really all about.  Good music?  Absolutely.  The teaser trailer (which can be found here: http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3280645401/) is 99 seconds of fun.  You had me at Zach Braff and Kate Hudson.  Not to mention a Donald Faison appearance (Scrubs reunion!)  And some Mandy Patinkin in a hospital bed for good measure.  And of course the perfect use of “Simple Song” by The Shins.  Is it possibly a bit melodramatic?  Sure.  Could the movie suck?  Yes, maybe.  But the trailer has me interested, gives me little to no indication of what the movie is about, and looks a bit weird.  Yes, please.  And plus I love Garden State, so this will probably be right up my alley (and probably the opposite for Mrs.)

Ok, so now for the main attraction, a short list of my favorite movie trailers:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford


Ok, so right off the bat this brazenly violates rule #1 (the exception to prove the rule?), but if you can get past this what you have is a wonderful trailer.  It’s about Jessie James and I guess his assassination (the title gives away more than the trailer there), but man did I want to know more.  The movie was good (could have been great with an editor or two) but the trailer has Brad Pitt holding snakes, Casey Affleck pointing a gun, the beautiful use of “What Must Be Done” by Nick Cave & Warren Ellis from the movie soundtrack (I love this music and it was well placed in the film as well), people robbing trains, snow, fire, and a candle being blown out.  That’s how you do a trailer.

The Social Network


First, they made a movie about a website and it was awesome.  How did that happen?  As far as keeping mystery alive in a trailer – it’s a film about a website, so umm . . . yeah . . . what?  The first minute of the trailer is literally images from Facebook (not scenes from the movie) set to a children’s choir singing Radiohead’s "Creep", which could be the greatest moment in movie trailer history.  And then . . . boom!  College parties, JT talking about a billion dollars (that’s Justin Timberlake kids, try to keep up), people throwing things, a guy walking around in a robe, more JT (this time in a club), and people setting fires in garbage cans.  I scoffed at the idea of a Facebook movie when I first heard of it, and knew I had to see it after viewing this trailer.

The Thin Red Line


The Tree of Life


I’ll lump these two together since they are both Terrence Malick films and the man knows how to make a movie trailer (well he probably didn’t do it, but just go with it).

It almost seems like this is another violation of rule #1, but the voiceovers (specifically in The Tree of Life trailer) are part of the films.  That’s just how Mr. Malick rolls, gang.  He loves a good voiceover.

The Thin Red Line is obviously a war movie, but the trailer was incredibly intriguing and foreboding, and by the time the music starts up about halfway through, I was hooked.  It gets me every time, and for some reason I enjoy the rundown of the famous cast.

The Tree of Life trailer takes rule #2 to a new level because not only did I not know what it was about after seeing the trailer, I didn’t know what it was about after seeing the movie.  But I also love the music in this one.  And the movie just looked like it would be creative.  Malick’s trailers are perfect for saps like me.

Magnolia


Ok, I know, I know . . . another one that violates rule #1.  Let’s just move on quickly before I boot this off the list because of this egregious violation.  I am not reconsidering the rule.

It might lose points for the voiceover, but it gains points for keeping the mystery alive.  The trailer even specifically points out that it will all make sense in the end and that’s good, because it certainly doesn’t make any sense during the trailer.  But what you do have is lots of characters, an Aimee Mann song, Tom Cruise’s finest acting moment, a game show host, a police officer, a frog, and a movie I really wanted to see.

Inglourious Basterds


Quentin Tarantino films usually come with a great trailer.  Although maybe it’s just my excitement for a new Tarantino film that leads to my opinion.  The trailers for both of the Kill Bill films were awesome, but this is the one that truly got me hyped to see the film.  Brad Pitt’s third appearance on this list, movie theaters, bombs, plenty of Tarantino violence and explosions, fires (another recurring theme on this list), and an intriguing take on a WWII film.  It all added up to a movie I needed to see.  It started off slow and slowly built up the pace, and while not a rule this is always a good way to impress me with a trailer.

I'm sure there are several trailers I love that I'm just not recalling right now, and I've tried to show restraint by only including a handful.  If this blog is still around in a decade maybe I'll have a few more to add at that time.

No comments: