April 1, 2010

Read This!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

Set just after the end of WWII, The GL & PPPS tells the fictional story of a group of individuals living on the British island of Guernsey during the German Occupation and the time immediately following. Throughout this book, I found myself more interested in the snippets of info about life during the Occupation than with the current lives of the characters. I did think that the heroine, Elizabeth McKenna, was a bit much. Her character was overly dramatized and unrealistic. I also didn’t quite understand the point of the Oscar Wilde tie-in towards the end as it really didn’t have anything to do with the plot and didn’t seem to have a point other than to fill some pages. Did I miss something here? Although I did have some issues with the story, I would recommend this for a beach read as I did find it interesting and the authors were able to keep it pretty light considering the heavy fare they were dealing with. I also enjoyed the fact it was an epistolary novel as this is a writing style I really like.

No comments: