April 13, 2010

Read This!

The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

I am a big fan of mystery novels (think Agatha Christie and Daphne du Maurier) so when I was perusing the shelves at Borders looking for a new book and happened on Georgette Heyer (yet another first half of the 20th century lady British mystery writer), I punched the air and yelled “YES!” I love the prospect of finding another good author. So I picked up Why Shoot a Butler? (currently reading) and looked around for another book eventually deciding on The Corinthian. What I didn’t realize until after the fact is that Georgette Heyer also wrote a series of romance novels of which The Corinthian was one.

This is not your Fabio-covered bodice ripping torrid romance of today. Set in the Regency period, the story centers around a playboy named Richard Wyndham who happens upon a Miss Penelope Creed who is in the process of running away from her guardian’s house. Adventure ensues and I am sure you can imagine how it ends. I enjoyed reading it but I don’t think it is going to make the top 100 books of all time list anytime soon.

No comments: