By F. Scott Fitzgerald
I am in the process of getting through Middlemarch, George Eliot’s 839 pages of bleck. But, I got tired of lugging that book back and forth to work every day so I decided with about 100 pages left, to read that at night and read something else on my commute.
We have been out of town the past few weekends and I haven’t have a chance to refill my book supply meaning I had to go with what we had. So I chose Mr.’s copy of The Great Gatsby. (Yes, I am one of the few who made it through school without ever having read it.) I plowed through this in two days (unlike Middlemarch which is taking me weeks and weeks).
I enjoyed this book. It’s seems very apathetic and I am probably missing a lot of the point since literature analysis is not my forte. (Yes, I have a literature degree but its French literature so it was more about learning the language. IMO anyways. So yes Dad, that college degree wasn't wasted. Hahahaha) It is the story of (this may be a spoiler) the rich and mysterious Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchannan, who is currently married to someone else. Set on Long Island, Gatsby buys a house across the way from Daisy and throws lavish parties hoping that she’ll attend. All he wants is to rekindle their relationship. Eventually, they meet up and begin a romance. But (SPOILER) all does not end well and in the end, Gatsby is a sad and lonely figure and testament to the fact that money doesn’t always bring happiness or true friendship. I think the narrator shares this opinion.
No comments:
Post a Comment