By Sarah Waters
This is another of the books I got at the Borders spree a few weeks ago. I pulled it off the shelf because it seemed interesting but when I took a closer look (after I already threw it in my buy pile), I saw some comments on it like "Guaranteed to give you sleepless nights!". Um. I hate scary (my Dad at one point in my childhood forbid me to go to slumber parties if I came back from another one after a night of scary stories/ movies afraid to go to bed) so I debated putting it back and but in the end decided to give it a go anyways.
I am glad I did.
The Little Stranger is told from the perspective of Dr. Faraday who came from humble beginnings and worked his way up to being a doctor. One day in post WWII England he is called to Hundreds Hall to attend the housemaid who is ill.
Hundreds is the family home of the Ayres who are part of the landed gentry even though their house is decaying around them and they have no money to speak of.
The Ayres, mother, daughter, and son, live a lonely existence out at Hundreds and soon after the initial visit, the Doctor becomes a regular visitor to the house.
Strange things start to happen around the house. Is it insanity, hysteria, a ghost? Everything culminates into one ending I didn't guess.
I have to say this book definitely gave me the creeps especially one part where there is some scratching on wood paneling. Ick. Just that sound.
I also have to say that this book had one of the best ending lines in any of the books I have read for a long time. I actually exclaimed "Wow!"
I have told Mr. to read this so we can discuss it because now, looking back, I am seeing all of the clues and I want to have someone to rehash it with.
No comments:
Post a Comment