May 11, 2011

Keeping Cottonelle in Business

Warning: There may be TMI for some folks in this post. I will try to keep the gruesome details to a minimum.

So have you missed us? Mr. and I returned from a FANTASTIC vacation in Hawaii (blog post on that to come). It was seriously one of the best vacas we have been on. I was singing the praises of this trip to high heaven. But there is always a catch....

Saturday we flew home (arriving Sunday AM). Mr. was not feeling very well on the flight and I kept forcing food on him telling him he was hungry. Then, Sunday afternoon, I started to feel achy and my stomach was slightly upset. I attributed this to lack of sleep. Mr. was fluctuating between fever and chills all day and spent the day in bed. Sunday night I was still planning to go to work on Monday. We went to bed around 10PM. At around 10:30 disaster struck, for the next 48 hours, Mr. and I made trips to the bathroom every 10-30 minutes round the clock. It was bad. Thankfully we have four bathrooms. On top of the fever and chills, my body was so achy. I seriously wanted to die.

On Sunday before I became ill, I went to the grocery store and picked up a few items. Unfortunately, I managed to get all items one does not want to eat when their intestines are exploding. Because we had been away for so long, we had no other food. We had no one we could really call locally to help us out. And after lying around our house like beached whales for most of the day on Monday, we managed to find the energy to make our way to the gas station on the corner and buy some gatorade. It was heaven.

I finally went to the doctor yesterday because there was stuff coming out of my body that should not have been and I freaked out. Her diagnosis: salmonella or a similar type issue. She put me on high dose antibiotics. Mr. goes to a different doctor and Tuesday afternoon, the same bad things that had come out of me were coming out of him, so he made an appointment right after my doctor gave her verdict. His doctor's verdict: a parasite. He put him on the same antibiotic that I am on. We are awaiting the results of Mr.'s "sample" to find out what is exactly affecting us.

Ironically, we always tend to go on big vacas outside the US and aside from some minor stomach issues I had on coming back from Cabo, have never gotten sick. It figures we tried to do a big vaca in the US and had a near death experience.

In case you are wondering, we are on the mend now. The antibiotics really helped as has the liquid diet I was put on by my doctor. I can start on the BRAT diet this afternoon but to be honest, I have no idea why I ever decided I liked to eat. I can't even think about chewing without wanting to throw up. On the bright side, I have lost a nice amount of weight so always a silver lining.

No comments: