November 20, 2011

Size Quandary

The November issue of Real Simple magazine showed off this sweater from aerie.  I like it so I decided to order it.

Now, I have never bought anything from aerie but I know it has a teen type demographic so before I ordered my normal size, I looked at the size chart and compared that to a store I frequently patronize.  The XS measurements matched between the two so I ordered an XS.

When it arrived, I pulled it out and thought, "I didn't realize this sweater was cropped???"  I tried it on and it hit me right at the natural waist (not the most flattering and I would constantly be pulling it down) but it did fit so I was thinking I would just keep it rather than deal with returning it.   It bothered me though because I thought said item would be longer and because I can't just let things go, I dug out the original Real Simple article.  And lo and behold, the sweater was significantly longer on the lady in that pic.  

So I ordered the small and thought I would compare the fits.  

When I pulled the small out of its bag, the length of the arms and body looked more proportional.  I tried it on and it was a lot longer hitting me at the hip.   Comparing the two (XS on top of S and lined up exactly at the top):


Huh?  Can someone explain to me why the XS is so much shorter than the S when the arms are the same length?  This seems so weird to me.  I have seen a difference in the length of pants or skirts grow as the size increased but only slightly and it is always mentioned in the description of the clothing item. At 5'3", I usually appreciated the shorter length in the smaller sizes.  But, nothing on aerie mentioned this much of a difference in length between the XS and S.  I even went back and checked before writing this post.

Do teen XS girls have significantly shorter torsos than their S counterparts? 

Maybe I am too old to understand how this sizing works?  I am in my 30s and no longer a teen. I guess I will go buy my next clothing item from Talbots.

No comments: