February 17, 2012

Read This!: Sarah's Key

(I know we have done three book reviews in a row but I promise we have some fascinating posts coming like one about our garbage disposal install.)

By Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah’s Key is a story within a story.

The primary narrator is Julia Jarmond, an American journalist living in Paris assigned to write about the upcoming sixtieth anniversary of the mass arrest of the Jewish population of Paris in July 1942. Her story eventually intertwines with the second story which is told in third person and centers on a 10 year old Jewish girl named Sarah who is one of those arrested. Assuming that they are going to return soon, Sarah locks her 4 year old brother in a secret cupboard so that he will not be taken by the French police promising to return as soon as she can.

I loved this book and highly recommend it. I couldn’t put it down.

This also counts as my second book challenge book. I didn’t realize that when I chose to read it. But, it does cover the category of “Two or more narrative modes (first person, second person, third person)”. Julia tells her story in first person. Sarah’s is told in third person.

No comments: