Book challenge: Book
that you’ve been avoiding
By Alice Sebold
Many years ago, when it first came out, I read The Lovely
Bones cover to cover, non-stop. As a
result, when I learned that Alice Sebold had released a new book, The Almost
Moon, I asked for and received it for Christmas without actually knowing what
it was about. Because I had asked for it,
Greeney thought she would read it and did.
Alas, her review was not very good.
After telling me some things regarding the story and how dark and
disturbing she found it to be, I decided to put off reading it… For years…
Until last week. This is why it
counts as the book I have been avoiding for the book challenge.
The Almost Moon, told in first person by Helen Knightly,
recounts how she murdered her mentally ill mother and her life for the 24 hours
afterwards. Throughout the story, we get
flashbacks that depict her life with her mother, her mentally ill father, her
ex-husband, etc. that “set the stage” so to speak for what is to come.
The story is definitely dark and disturbing but maybe not so
much as I was preparing myself for.
Alice Sebold, I think, is a gifted writer. Even though this won’t make my 100 Books to
Read before You Die list, I found it hard to put it down.
No comments:
Post a Comment