By Susan Hill
I picked up this book because it seemed like it would have a
nice, suspenseful feeling. I don’t mind
a good ghost story as long as it is not too, too scary. I like a thrill, not not sleeping for a week.
The Woman in Black is told in the first person by Arthur
Kipps, a solicitor, who at the age of 23, was sent to take care of the estate
of his now-deceased client, Mrs. Drablow.
Kipps travels to the town of Crythin
Gifford where he starts to sense that the locals are hiding something regarding
the house of Mrs. Drablow and a mysterious woman in black who he keeps seeing. Full of youth and naivety, Kipps ignores the
hints and decides to stay at the remote Eel Marsh House alone, except for a
dog. Soon, Kipps starts to understand
why the locals all stay away as his experiences at the house become more and
more frightening.
For the majority of the book, I thought the story was
intriguing but not quite scary and was a bit disappointed. Then, I got to the end. And I have to say at the time, I wasn’t super
impressed but the more I thought about it afterwards, the more it bothered
me. So I guess in the end, Susan Hill
was successful in her ghost story.
The only part of the book that really annoyed me was the
fact that I couldn’t place what time the book was supposed to be taking
place. It was written in 1983 but was
not set in 1983. I thought it was set in
Victorian England but then they talked about motor cards and lights so I am
guessing it’s later. I found this really
frustrating.
I also wondered how much Mrs. Drablow herself experienced at
the house and wished that would have been explained.
I will also say, in closing, that this book was recently
made into a movie. I would like to see
the movie because I think a lot of the spookiness would be better conveyed
through sound and visual.
No comments:
Post a Comment