Book challenge: Book with pictures
By Amanda Foreman
I bought Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire during the big
Borders blow out sale. It was definitely
an impulse buy and I put off reading it until now. I just didn’t want to get bogged down in
another biography. But alas, I am
getting low on books and decided to jump in.
Born Lady Georgiana Spencer and married in her teens to the
Duke of Devonshire, Georgiana Cavendish was thrust into a life of fame and
fashion. She was the head of high
society in late 18th century England and intricately involved in the
lives of the English and French elite as well as politics of the time (She was
a major Whig party member). In her
personal life, Georgiana was the mother of four children, one illegitimate, and
a compulsive gambler losing what would have been millions of dollars in today’s
money. The most unusual part of her life
was her relationship with Lady Elizabeth Foster (Bess). Best friend or lover, history can’t say. But, what is known is that Bess (a bit of a
schemer), Georgiana, and the Duke lived together in a sort of ménage-à-trois for many years. (Bess had
two illegitimate children by the Duke). When
Georgiana died, Bess married the Duke and realized her life-long dream of taking
her friend’s place (much to the Cavendishs’ dismay).
There were a lot of juicy details in this book and excerpts
from letters. However, personally, I
found all of the political mumbo jumbo boring and my eyes glazed over. I know that sometimes in biographies details
must be explained but I thought they were a bit much here and I just wanted to
go back to her personal life which was much more intriguing.
I will say that I judged Georgiana a bit on the
gambling. It was a bit shocking how much
money she was wasting. Yes, I gave more than an ample share of my allowance to
Instant Bingo at the church fair as a kid but at least I knew when to stop.
I will also say I was surprised at how many of the ton were having affairs and illegitimate
children. That is not the picture one necessarily
sees. At least not of the women.
Last but not least, I want to comment on the movie The Duchess which I saw a few years ago
and is the screen version of this biography.
In The Duchess, Georgiana was
made out to be more of a victim of both her husband and his relationship with Bess. In the movie, the Duke is painted as a much
more brutal, uncaring jerk than he is in the book where, while emotionally
distant from Georgiana (it was not a love-match), he was never the cruel man he
appeared in the movie. And yes, in both,
he did ask Georgiana to give up her illegitimate daughter but she was in
agreement due to the scandal it would create.
Fun fact: The Duchess was an ancestral aunt to Princess
Diana.
No comments:
Post a Comment