September 8, 2012

Sheer Insanity

Lately, our sheers in our living room have been really annoying me.  I don't know why.  They are just sheers but every time I walk by them, I wanted to tear them off the rod.  (Mr. would never be OK with me doing this because gasp! other people could see in our house.  Side-eye.)


I couldn't get the light right to show the curtains for these pics so you will just have to imagine it looking good.

Anyways, I thought maybe I could get some snazzy sheers with designs on them.  The only problem is I didn't want floral.  Sigh...  And floral was EVERYWHERE...  

After much searching I eventually found these sheers from Cost Plus World Market.

They are tab top but, I figured that since I need to hem them anyways, maybe it wouldn't be an issue.  I do not like tab tops.  

(I never actually got around to hemming our last set of sheers as you can see in the pic.  In the summer, I push the drape over the main window so that the breeze won't be stopped by it and can flow in when I open the window on the side.  This is why the curtain is in the middle.  The other side window I never open because it is behind the couch and I am too lazy to deal.)

Anyways, Mr. and I did a trial run and agreed these weren't so bad.  During said run, I discovered that if I removed the tabs, the sheers would just hit the floor!  WIN!!!!

So (check out my timed photography because Mr. was busy):

1.  I removed the tabs:

2.  I opened the side seam to put the rod through:


Voila!



I am not 100% sold and they keep throwing us off when we walk by.  Mr. also said they were a tad frou frou which I disagreed with until I ironed them and the mosaic did look a bit floral and flowery to me.  Oh well, too late after I cut of the tabs and opened the seams.

I do like that they have some visual interest at least.

Now, because nothing is ever easy...

I usually clean our windows in October.  I decided just to clean this window now because I had the sheers off.  As I was cleaning the frame, my finger went through the window sill.  AHHHHH!!!!!!   Apparently the outside of the window must have a leak and the wood was all rotted.  We never noticed because the paint looked the same.  

SIGH....

Here is how it looked after peeling paint back and poking around:



SIGH....

I found a video online that made it look like repairing this wouldn't be so terrible (knocking on so much wood it is insane) so we are going to give it a go.  Stay tuned...

PS I caulked outside of the window immediately because I am handy like that.  Mr. was glad he married me when I pulled out the caulking gun and just got to work.

No comments: