September 25, 2012

Used Book Fair!!!

Books are my babies.  If you borrow a book from me and don’t return it, I will nag you year after year to make sure you still want to read it or to collect it if you have finished.  My brother is the longest outstanding book thief with my copy of The Da Vinci Code he has had since 2004-2005.  

When I think of donating my books and getting some out of the house, I get a panic attack, even though our shelves are bursting at the seams.  Mr. gives me a huge side-eye whenever I lament the idea of giving my books away.

That being said…
The church by us recently had a used book fair.  You could drop off your books on Saturday and then come on Sunday to attend the fair.  I am proud to say that Mr. and I donated a total of 29 books and 11 were mine.  There might have been some tears shed but a lot of them were terrible chick lit I read in my early 20s and will never reread.  I came to terms knowing that they could have a new life with someone else instead of being run over by spiders on our bookshelf.

On Sunday, we returned to see what we could pick up.  I was shocked to see that they were charging $1 for a hardback 6/$5 and 25 cents for a paperback and 5/$1.  How cheap is that!!!! We managed to get the following list of books (15 in all) for $7:

My Picks:
Jaws
The Remains of the Day
Ellie: The Perfect Dress for Me – for Gator
Historical Times Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Civil War – for my Dad
On the Street Where You Live
Death at Daisy's Folly
The Pact
A Great and Terrible Beauty
The Innocents
The Undertaker's Widow


Mr.'s Picks:

The Reader
The Angel of Darkness
Interpreter of Maladies
Gilead
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I will admit that when I was pulling these out of their bag just now, I had to think about which were my picks so we obviously spent a lot of time thinking over these book choices.

I also thought we had bought 6 hardbacks since it was 6 for 5 dollars but I only see five here...  I am irrationally disappointed if we overlooked this and thought we had one more.

Lastly, I did get slightly upset at seeing my books still sitting on the tables at the fair.  Mr. was like “No way are you buying those back” so I had to look away.

The lady who was working told me that books that don't get sold get donated to charity. I guess I can accept that.
However, yesterday, as we were coming home on the train, I told Mr. that I was trying to figure out which of my books got bought and which were still left at the time we were at the fair.  He told me I have serious issues if I am still thinking about books I already gave away.  I think he is right.

But between you and me, here are the books I think got bought previous to our arrival on Sunday:
Frankenstein (we had two of these so OK to donate)
The Odyssey (ditto)
On the Road (ditto)
See Jane Date (chick lit, now a Hallmark movie)
The Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing (chick lit)

No comments: