September 5, 2012
Read This!: The Flight of Gemma Hardy
By Margot Livesey
Book challenge: Derived from another book
****Review contains spoilers on TFofGH and Jane Eyre
I read about this book a while ago and thought it could be good for the challenge as it is a retelling of the story Jane Eyre.
Like Jane Eyre, Gemma Hardy is an orphan living with her widowed aunt and eventually sent to a school where her life is miserable. At around age 18, Gemma leaves the school to become an au pair to a young girl. She meets and falls in love with her employer only to find out he has a terrible secret revealed on their wedding day. She flees and sets up life for herself under an assumed name. Does she eventually find happiness? I won't tell.
Because this is based on Jane Eyre, let’s do some comparisons. Gemma Hardy lives in Scotland in the mid-20th century while Jane Eyre lives in England in the 19th century. Both girls have crappy childhoods. Gemma Hardy’s paternal family is from Iceland. No Iceland in Jane Eyre. Personally, I thought the Iceland thing was too forced. Both girls are small but I had a major LOL moment the second they said Gemma was 5’ 3”. I am 5’ 3” and I have never been mistaken for a child because of my height nor do I think I am teeny tiny. Shorter than average, yes, but not quite a mini-me. The author must be 7 feet tall to make these comments about someone this height. Lastly, Mr. Sinclair, the Gemma Hardy Mr.Rochester, has a terrible secret which I found to be anti-climatical. Having your insane wife hidden away in your attic and committing bigamy is a lot more scandalous than this story's big reveal.
All in all, it was decent reading so I recommend but the original is better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment