November 14, 2012

Read This!: The Undertaker's Widow

By Phillip Margolin

Book fair!

The Undertaker’s Widow is a legal thriller (I am guessing in the lines of a John Grisham novel although I have never read any besides Skipping Christmas) in which a rich man is murdered and the suspects range from his running for the Senate current wife to his deadbeat son. The evidence points in one direction and the appropriate person is arrested. But in the midst of the trial, the judge on the case becomes a victim of blackmail.  How will it all end?  Lots of twists and turns later, everything was revealed.
There were a couple things about this book that caught my attention:

1.     All of the women (30-35) were described as wearing white nightgowns.  No one I know wears nightgowns.  My grandma did so I think this guy might be a little behind the times. That or maybe my age group did in 1999 when this book was written.

2.   The scene in St. Jerome screamed The Firm (movie as I have never read the book).

3.     I found myself skimming certain parts of the explanatory dialogue.  It was a lot going on and I just lost interest keeping it straight.  I got the main points so eh.

All in all, not a terrible read.  This is a new author for me and I am interested in reading another one of his books which got decent reviews.

No comments: