February 17, 2013

A Book-Reading with Gillian Flynn

Mr. and I attended a book read with Gillian (pronounced Gill, not Jill) Flynn, author of Gone Girl.

Having never attended one of these before, we weren't sure what to expect but the gist of it was GF talked about how her background and the inspirations for her books and then had a Q&A from the audience.  Afterwards, there was a book signing.

Now, I made Mr. go to this an hour early and we were still numbers 113 and 114 in line.  I know this because they gave us a ticket with the numbers on it.  This was used later for the book signing when groups of numbers were called, kind of like when you board a plane.  I appreciated this orderliness and the lack of need for a rush to be first in line.  There were about 400 people in total at the signing.

Listening to her experience writing novels, Mr. and I thought maybe we should write a book.  I will also note that Mr. is always on my case about the way I pronounce "wolves" with no "l" like "wuves" and she pronounced it the same way!  We died the second she said the word.

Anyways, so we were 113 and 114 in line for the book signing.  I had my  Gone Girl and Mr. had his mother's copy.  I was not sure what the protocol was for one of these so we just had one each. I thought it was side-eye when people strolled up there with a huge pile of books.  Lame.

So we finally got our turn.  Mr. handed her his book first and we posed for a pic.  Mr. was slightly embarrassed I think but eh, whatever, I wanted to have a picture.  Now, Mr.'s book was made out to his mother.  Then, I handed her my book and I think we confused her because she asked if I was my name.  So I explained that Mr.'s book was for my mother-in-law and she said to Mr., "Ah ok, you didn't look like a Mr.'s mother's name".  

Before we got up there, I told Mr. I was a little stressed  because I had no idea what to say.  I mean I loved her book but I didn't want to be a cliche all like "I LOVED GONE GIRL!!!!".  I wanted to be cool, something I am not usually.  Mr. didn't know what we should say either.  So after the whole picture thing, I said to her that her book took our family by storm (Mr., my MIL, and my two sisters-in-law and me of course have all read it).  We made a joke a with her then about how we now sleep with one eye open.  And lo and behold, this is what she wrote to me:



Very exciting!  Of course this may be a standard thing she writes, who knows?  I like to think I am special so I will.  Plus. Mr.'s mother got a different phrase inscribed in her book.


PS For all you Kindle users, getting your Kindle signed is not where it's at.  Bring back real books!

No comments: