February 15, 2013

Bridge of Sighs


In Richard Russo’s Bridge of Sighs sixty-year-old Louis Charles Lynch (“Lucy”) runs a chain of convenient stores in Thomaston, New York, a once thriving small town that’s been decaying for years.  Having spent his whole life in this small town, he and his wife Sarah (his high school sweetheart) now plan on taking a vacation to Italy, where (as fate would have it) their old high school friend Bobby, who they haven’t seen since they were 18 but who they’ve kept in contact with through letters, now lives as a world famous painter.  Lucy’s also writing a memoir about his life and it’s through this that the reader learns of Lucy and Bobby’s childhood friendship, the different struggles of each of their families, and the eventual potential love triangle with Sarah.  Russo also slowly reveals the plot through narratives from both Sarah and Bobby's perspective (both in past and present), as each of the characters is faced with confronting the consequences of decisions they've made as they struggle to come to terms with the advancing years and the pain of the past.
The Good:  It’s a pretty standard Richard Russo novel, and you know how I enjoy Russo’s writing.  He introduces colorful characters throughout the novel and paints an elaborate portrait of the town and the Lynch family store that becomes central in the story.  It's impressive how easily he immerses the reader into the setting and makes it seem so real.  All of the characters have flaws, but you can still relate to them.  The book was over 600 pages and I could have continued to read more.
The Bad:  It’s a pretty standard Richard Russo novel, and in many ways similar to some of the others that I’ve read.  The dying small town is a staple in his books and many of the characters remind me of those from his other books.  I also thought that Lucy came across as more of a sad sack than was necessary, but that’s just a small gripe. 
The Verdict: Definitely worth reading if (like me) you enjoy Russo’s work.  I’d still start with Empire Falls and go from there, but Bridge of Sighs might be #2 for me now.
Next up:  Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (which I’ve read on Mrs.’ recommendation) 

No comments: