June 21, 2013

Read This!: The Secret Keeper

By Kate Morton

Kate Morton books tend to follow the same pattern:  present day something happens that illuminates a secret from years gone by, flashback to years gone by, story vacillates between past and present as the mystery is revealed.  I love these kinds of books and so have read all of Kate Morton’s novels.

During her teenage years, Laurel Nicolson witnesses a terrible crime in which her mother was involved.  Years later, her mother is dying and Laurel needs to know the truth of what she saw that day so she begins investigating her mother’s past during WWII in the London Blitz.  Laurel learns much about her mother that she never knew and gains the understanding she sought.

Now, I have to confess, I was reading this book, going along, one thing was revealed, then another, and so on and so forth.  And frankly, I was a bit disappointed and was like this is lame.   Then out of nowhere, Kate Morton threw me for a loop with a surprise I did not see coming AT ALL.  Maybe I am just dense but I was like WHAT???  So in the end, she got me and I have to say, I recommend this book.  I don’t think it is my favorite Kate Morton but still worthy of a read.

No comments: