June 27, 2013

Mr. Synesthesia

Wikipedia link for reference 

Me:  Here is that thing I was telling you about, synesthesia.  I don't understand what they are talking about so I am guessing I don't have this.  

Mr. (reading link):  What is so special about this?  Isn't this how everyone thinks?

Me (side-eye):  No.

Mr. (looking at me with incredulity):  But, if I think of the days of the week I picture a wheel with Monday at the top.

Me (side-eye):  Like a clock?

Mr.:  Yes. How do you picture them?

Me (side-eye):  I don't.

Mr.:  OK but if i say "Monday".  What do you see?

Me (side-eye):  Nothing.

Mr.:  Nothing?

Me (side-eye):  Maybe the word?

Mr.:  OK what if I tell you the number 10.

Me (side-eye):  Same.  

Mr.:  But if someone tells me a number I think of it relation to other numbers in a row.  You really don't?

Me (side-eye):  No.

Mr.:  But you were a math major.......

Me (side-eye):  So?

Mr.:  November!  How do you see it?

Me (side-eye):  I don't.

Mr.:  But I see the months in a row.

Me (side-eye):  So you see November to the right?

Mr.:  Yes. It is over here.  (points to the right)

Me (side-eye):  Huh.

Mr.:  You really don't see this?

Me (throwing him a bone but still side-eyeing) No.  If someone needs to schedule something at work, I'll picture my calendar so I can see when I have free but that's it....

Mr.:  Huh.

Me (side-eye):  So the past eleven years you have been hiding this from me?

Mr:  But I thought everyone did that.....

Me (happy not to be the freak show for once):  Nope

No comments: