June 6, 2013

Read This!: Shutter Island

By Dennis Lehane

Challenge: Takes place during a hurricane
I interrupt these vacation posts for a book review. 
Mr. read this book not too long ago and he thought I would like it.  I needed a book that took place during a hurricane so I figured I would go with it and finished right before we left for vacation.
Shutter Island is the home to an asylum for the criminally insane.  Teddy Daniels and his partner, Chuck Aule, are US Marshalls sent to find a missing patient named Rachel Soldano.  After arriving on the island, Teddy starts to suspects that there is more going on there than meets the eye and he works against the clock to uncover the truth before it is too late…
I was hooked on this book to the point I couldn’t bear stopping when I had to return to my office from lunch so I may have read ahead revealing one of the many secrets ahead of time.  Mr. was annoyed at me for doing this but, eh, it is like finding out what your kid is before it’s born, you still have the kid and know what it is, you just find out earlier than nature would have intended.  Doing this does not ruin the book for me and there were other reveals that I didn’t know would happen that were still surprising.  Needless to say, I found this to be a page-turned and would recommend. 
Mr. and I watched the movie, Shutter Island, on vacation.  I thought it followed the book fairly well and was worth a look-see.  The movie conveyed some of the nuances like looks people are giving each other that can’t be described in a book and I think this helped to make the end less surprising.  However, it could just be because I knew the end so I was aware of what was happening.  The movie also made the end clearer than the book did.  I thought the book ended one way and Mr. said no, it was this way.  The movie backed up Mr. so I guess he had it right.  For once.

No comments: