I snuck in another book review before my cruise post….
Julian Fellowes is the creator of Downton Abbey (one of my
fave shows) so when I came across a novel written by him, I scooped it up and
read it on our vaca.
Edith Lavery is a middle-class British girl who lands
herself a wealthy earl. Needless to say,
his upper class family (especially his mother) and friends are not sold on this
“social climber”. Differences between
the classes are obvious and Edith begins to question whether this is the life
she wants and if there might not be greener pastures with someone else…
This book takes place in the 1990s which took me a bit by
surprise as I assumed it was occurring in the early 20th century
between wars. This didn’t affect my
thoughts on the novel but I figured it was worth mentioning. Although at times I thought the writing was a
bit dense, Fellowes created quite a
glimpse into the British upper class (I assume it was accurate) and, at times, his
commentary made me laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment