August 10, 2013
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
In Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Susanna Clarke crafts an epic story of the return of practical magic to England after hundreds of years of absence. Magic was once commonplace, but theoretical magic is all that’s left at the start of the 19th century when the novel begins. But in this alternate universe real magic does indeed exist (not to say it doesn't exist in our own universe), and to the surprise of the theoretical magicians, one Mr. Gilbert Norrell decides to come out of seclusion and show off his skills, returning practical magic to it's place as a useful tool. Norrell establishes himself as the premiere (and seemingly only) practical magician in England, assisting the English in the fight against France during the Napoleonic Wars, and even bringing back to life the recently deceased young wife of a minister in the government (with the help of a fairy – a fairy who will reek havoc throughout the rest of the book). But soon another magician arrives on the scene, the young Jonathan Strange, who despite being new to the world of magic quickly shows that he's as good as Norrell, much to the latter’s frustration. They become master and pupil before a rift causes them to go their separate ways. But they’ll have to come together to save those who’ve been put in danger (including Strange’s wife) by the evil magic performed by the fairy.
Needless to say I could write a really, really long review about a complex novel that contains over 1000 pages, but I'll try to keep this short and sweet. If you’re looking for a book about rival magicians set in an alternate universe, where fairies exist, people can be brought back from the dead, and cities can move locations, then this is the book for you.
Ok, in all seriousness the book is very entertaining and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It’s original and imaginative and thoroughly British (for lack of a better term). It made me laugh several times and Clarke is a talented writer. I wish I were creative enough to write a novel as intricately plotted and inventive as this one. It was long, and although it was a surprisingly easy read despite its length, it did seem like it could have been edited down a bit. At first it was moving along wonderfully, but halfway through I did find myself thinking, "Ok, I get it, the fairy dude is bad. Norrell hates Strange’s interest in darker magic. Let's get on with the story.", so yes there were occasions that I felt Clarke got a bit repetitive. But I would still definitely recommend. And it even ended with what could leave room for a sequel, yet provided enough closure to feel satisfied. And I read that they may be making a BBC miniseries out of the book, which I would watch, if only because I’m curious how this could possibly be translated to the screen.
Next up: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment