August 27, 2013

Read This!: Midwives

By Chris Bohjalian

Challenge: Medical Book

I found this on Good Reads medical book list.  No interesting story to tell about that.

It is 1981 and Sybil Danforth is a midwife who performs home births.  One of these goes terribly wrong and Sybil performs a c-section on her patient, Charlotte Bedford, who is dead so that the baby will be saved.  However, was Charlotte dead when the c-section was performed or did Sybil kill her when she performed it?   Soon Sybil and the entire midwife community/ home births by association are put on trial.

The idea of the story in this book was really interesting and got me going.  Since reading it, I have had passionate discourses on home births with anyone who would listen.  I won’t give away the ending but at first I was thinking, if these women want to have their babies at home, fine.  NMS but ok, do what you want.  And then I started to see the other side and I began to think, why would a woman want to have a baby at home with a non-school trained midwife when there are hospitals and nurses and medically trained midwives available?  It seems kind of reckless when so much can happen in a birth which may cause the mother or the baby to die.  Why be risky like that when you do not have to?  It almost seems a little selfish on the part of the mother to choose this.  (Fortunately, I don’t think many people read this blog so I am hoping I won’t be inundated by comments from home birth ladies (and maybe some men) about how it’s the right choice and to watch The Business of Being Born.)

Side note:  This book has reaffirmed my hatred of the verb use of the word “birth” as in “I birthed him”.  Gag.  And it has also reaffirmed that I am not a suffering through childbirth is nature’s way to embrace my womanhood kind of girl.  But you probably caught on to that by now.

PS I realize this isn’t really a review of the book per se so last but not least, I would recommend, it was a page turner.

No comments: