Challenge: Short Stories
If you read this blog, you know I am a Daphne du Maurier fan so when I was browsing the huge Barnes and Noble we went to on our visit to Minnesota in June and saw a short story book by her, I thought I might read one of her books for the challenge.
Side note: All of our super big suburban style bookstores are no more and when I saw this B&N, I went wild and told Mr. we had to go. So we may have spent a small fortune on books because browsing a bookstore and purchasing books is not something I get to do these days. Damn you Kindle!!!
Anyways, so when we got home, I looked on Amazon to see more information about du Maurier’s short story books and ended up buying two. This one and one called The Doll. When I received these in the mail, I knew beforehand that The Doll would have a creepy cover but what I didn’t realize is that Don’t Look Now was a picture of someone screaming. So needless to say, both covers gave me the creeps and I hid them on my bookshelf.
Don’t Look Now is a compilation of nine of du Maurier’s stories. If you read her work, you know it can be dark with occasionally ambiguous and usually unhappy endings. This set of stories is creepy, suspenseful, and many have a hint of the supernatural. The most famous story in the set is The Birds which was made into an Alfred Hitchcock film. It has been years since I have seen it but the birds in the story have more malice and intent than the ones in the film, making it a bit darker than the movie. I was most surprised at the ends of Don't Look Now and Kiss Me Again, Stranger. My least favorite was The Escort because I just didn't get into it.
Anyways, so when we got home, I looked on Amazon to see more information about du Maurier’s short story books and ended up buying two. This one and one called The Doll. When I received these in the mail, I knew beforehand that The Doll would have a creepy cover but what I didn’t realize is that Don’t Look Now was a picture of someone screaming. So needless to say, both covers gave me the creeps and I hid them on my bookshelf.
Don’t Look Now is a compilation of nine of du Maurier’s stories. If you read her work, you know it can be dark with occasionally ambiguous and usually unhappy endings. This set of stories is creepy, suspenseful, and many have a hint of the supernatural. The most famous story in the set is The Birds which was made into an Alfred Hitchcock film. It has been years since I have seen it but the birds in the story have more malice and intent than the ones in the film, making it a bit darker than the movie. I was most surprised at the ends of Don't Look Now and Kiss Me Again, Stranger. My least favorite was The Escort because I just didn't get into it.
After reading this, I am looking forward to reading the other short story book that I bought.
No comments:
Post a Comment