By Robert K. Massie
I took this out of the library on a whim. I had been wanting to read a bio on Catherine the Great for awhile and this writer had gotten some good reviews.
Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman covers Catherine's life beginning as Princess Sophie of a minor German principality to being the Grand Duchess Catherine, the wife of the future emperor of Russia, to being Empress Catherine, the sole ruler of Russia.
Catherine the Great had a fascinating life and Massie details not only about Catherine's political life, but her personal one. I did think he waxed on a bit long in certain sections about snoozy subjects like philosophers and politics but the more personal info about her lovers and personality was fab. It also didn't hurt that I was just at a few of the places mentioned so I felt more connected to the events.
No comments:
Post a Comment