February 14, 2014

Read This!: Katherine

By Anya Seton

Challenge:  Title with one word

I like historical fiction especially about England so I saw this, asked for it for Christmas, got it, and decided to read it.

In the late 14th, early 15th centuries, Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, the Duke of Lancaster and son of Edward III of England, had a love affair spanning years.  She had four of his children and through these children descended the British royal family.  Eventually, after his other wives died, they were married causing some scandal to say the least.

This was a new couple on the historical fiction circuit for me.  I tend towards the Henry VIII era and this was before.  Generally, this was a good read and I would recommend for other lovers of historical fiction.  I found the descriptions of life during this time interesting and they made me realize how I am glad I live now with modern day conveniences.  My only complaints would be that I thought certain parts could have been edited and I felt they were there to show us how much Seton knew about life in this era rather than to add to the actual story.  I also thought there was some overkill on "damsel in distress" type scenes.

No comments: