Alright, alright, alright boys and girls, it’s time for the annual
Academy Awards post. Last year I had to
discuss the upcoming awards and predict the winners having only seen two of the
Best Picture nominees. This year I’ve
upped the degree of difficulty by seeing exactly zero of the nominees. And away we go . . .
Best Supporting Actor
The nominees:
Barkhad Abdi, Captain
Phillips
Bradley Cooper, American Hustle
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
Jonah Hill, The Wolf of Wall Street
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club
Who will win: Jared Leto
I’m rooting for: Jonah Hill
Interesting collection here with Abdi (just happy to be there), Bradley
Cooper (Again? Didn’t he just get
nominated last year? Is this really
going to be an annual thing?), and that dude from My So Called Life. I tend to like villainous roles, so I imagine
that Fassbender’s performance will ultimately be my favorite. I imagine it’s Leto’s to lose because he’s
won most of the earlier awards, but the sheer hilarity of Jonah Hill getting
nominated for an academy award (his 2nd time!) makes the sheer
absurdity of him accepting an Oscar too good to pass up.
Best Supporting Actress
The nominees:
Sally Hawkins, Blue Jasmine
Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska
Who will win: Lupita Nyong’o
I’m rooting for: Lupita Nyong’o
You have the big name in a supporting role with Julia
Roberts, but her movie has a dumb name.
I have absolutely nothing to say about Sally Hawkins, having never heard
of her until I looked up the nominees.
We can all agree that Jennifer Lawrence needs to slow down and give
someone else a turn, right? I’ve also
never heard of June Squibb, but it’s hard to root against an 84 year old. But I’m going to do it anyway and go with the
newcomer Nyong’o.
Best Actress
Amy Adams, American Hustle
Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine
Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Judi Dench, Philomena
Meryl Streep, August: Osage County
Who will win: Cate Blanchett
I’m rooting for: Amy Adams
Sandra Bullock already won Best Actress for The Blind Side a few years
back, which (despite not having seen it) I’ll declare a terrible choice. So she’s banned from further consideration. I have no desire to see Judi Dench’s movie. And Meryl Streep has enough
awards. Supposedly Blanchett is a
runaway train that can’t be stopped and she’s won all the previous awards, but
how can you not root for Amy Adams?
She’s been nominated like 48 times and hasn’t won yet!
Best Actor
The nominees:
Christian Bale, America Hustle
Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
Who will win: Matthew
McConaughey
I’m rooting for: Leonardo
DiCaprio
Christian Bale is another one who needs to give someone else a
turn. Dern’s old and his movie is in
black and white . . . and yeah, it’s not going to happen. McConaughey seems to have turned into a good
actor or something? Chiwetel Ejiofor’s performance
looks like it could be pretty fantastic.
But I’m in Leo’s camp. I enjoyed
him in both Django Unchained and The Great Gatsby (the last two movies we’ve
seen). And he’s never won. He’s king of the Academy Awards!
Best Director
The nominees:
Alfonso Cuaron, Gravity
Steve McQueen, 12 Years a Slave
Alexander Payne, Nebraska
David O. Russell, American Hustle
Martin Scorsese, The Wolf of Wall Street
Who will win: Alfonso Cuaron
I’m rooting for: Martin
Scorsese
No strong feelings in this group.
I’m sure Cuaron will win because he flew to outer space to film an
entire film, which is amazing. But I’m
going with Scorsese to make up for any of the years when he should have won and
didn’t.
Best Picture
The nominees:
12 Year a Slave
American Hustle
Captain Phillips
Dallas Buyers Club
Gravity
Her
Nebraska
Philomena
The Wolf of Wall Street
Who will win: 12 Years a Slave
I’m rooting for: 12 Years a
Slave
Of the nine, I don’t plan on seeing Philomena, probably
won’t get around to seeing Dallas Buyers Club, and despite hearing good things,
could see myself skipping Captain Phillips.
Nebraska has me slightly intrigued, but with so many other movies in the
queue, I could see it getting forgotten soon enough. I’d like to see all of the other five (it
might take seven years to manage that), with 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, and Her
as the top three. Ultimately we’ll see
what I like best, but for this weekend I’ll root for 12 Years a Slave so that
Brad Pitt gets an Oscar (he’s a producer).
No comments:
Post a Comment