February 27, 2014

Read This!: Wolf Hall

By Hilary Mantel

Challenge: Historical fiction

I bought this because I love Tudor historical fiction.

Wolf Hall is the first of the Thomas Cromwell trilogy.  Not surprisingly, Thomas Cromwell is the main character of this story, which spans his childhood in England, he young adult years abroad, his time serving Cardinal Wolsey, and his ascension to the position of minister to Henry VIII.  In addition to insights into his career, we also get a view into Cromwell's home life.  Throughout this story, told from the perspective of Cromwell, we are privy to his thoughts and observations on the matters at hand.   

This was a new perspective on the Tudor era, to be seen through the eyes of Cromwell.  Often, Cromwell is the villain of these stories but this one made him into a much more sympathetic character, who had brains, a family, and a pragmatic view of things.  I actually found myself laughing at some of his thoughts. For example, paraphrased, Cromwell tells his ward about a potential wife.  His ward's objection is that he has never met her.  And Cromwell thinks "Since when is not knowing the bride an objection?"  My only complaints when reading this were 1.  It was hard to follow at times and if I hadn't read millions (slight exaggeration) books on or about the Tudors, I wouldn't have understood who anyone was 2. I brought this on vaca and this required more effort than a beach read which put me out.

No comments: