Here it is already February and I still haven’t written
about my favorite new music of 2013.
Apologies to everyone who has been waiting patiently for this post.
[crickets chirping]
Oh. Ok.
Last year I listed my favorite new songs of the year, but
this year’s installment will feature my three favorite albums released in 2013
(not coincidently the only three albums I purchased in 2013). It includes a mix of a new find, an old
favorite, and a highly anticipated release.
The new find:
Absolute Zero by Little Green Cars
The debut album from this Irish indie rock band was a
pleasant discovery. I first stumbled
upon their single "Harper Lee" (a song that has little to do with the author in
the title), which was interesting enough for me to check out the rest of the
album. And I’m glad I did, finding several
songs that got put in the regular listening rotation. They are just a fun little band, with the
twist of having songs sung by the uniquely- voiced Stevie and several others
sung by vocalist/guitarist Faye (I kind of lean towards the Faye songs). Hopefully this isn’t the last I hear from
them. My favorite songs: "Please", "The John Wayne", and "My Love Took Me
Down to the River to Silence Me" (even if it sounds more like a TV show that
Mrs. would be watching on Investigation Discovery).
The old favorite:
Lightning Bolt by Pearl Jam
I have to say that a new Pearl Jam album and attending not
one, but two Pearl Jam concerts in 2013 is not going to help me in my 1990’s
alternative music therapy group. Let’s
face it; I’m never kicking this habit. So
needless to say 2013 found me listening to a lot of Pearl Jam, both old
favorites and live bootlegs, and of course the newest release. Lighting Bolt may never quite reach the
status of classics like Ten and Vitalogy, but I did find myself really enjoying
the new music. The band just keeps on
chugging along, continuing to prove themselves as rock legends. Now excuse me while I go put on my flannel
shirt and Doc Martens, and relive the teenage angst years. The highlights: "Getaway", "Sirens", and "Pendulum".
The anticipated release:
Reflektor by Arcade Fire
Arcade Fire is safely in the “buy the album when it’s
released and trust it will be great” category for me. It might take some time to really fall for the album, but they have never disappointed me.
But Reflektor did scare me at first.
I wasn’t sure I was going to get into it. It was a bit more . . . I don’t know, maybe repetitive
lyrically and musically? And possibly more . . . what? . . . glam rock maybe?
Pop music-y? It’s hard to describe the album. It’s complicated
I guess and definitely different from The Suburbs (that being the last album). But that’s what I love about Arcade Fire. The album definitely isn’t boring. And while it’s still not topping Funeral (a pantheon album) as
my favorite, it’s slowly grown on me . . . and then some. The best off the album: "Normal Person", "Afterlife", "Joan Of Arc", and "It’s Never Over (Oh Orpheus)".
So put those i-Tunes gift cards to good use and check out
some of the great music above. You won’t
be disappointed . . . unless your music tastes are more like my wife’s than
mine . . . then maybe at least preview the songs before buying.
2 comments:
I think Arcade Fire was on Jimmy Fallon Thursday night, did you see them? No Bieber or Bruno Mars?
You know we aren't up that late. Especially with the Olympics pushing Fallon back a half hour. But I'll check out the performance online.
The Biebs just missed the cut.
Post a Comment