We almost didn’t get to see Mad Men this week. Our cable was going in and out all day on Sunday and we feared the worst. But luckily just a couple hours before the start of the show the problem was miraculously fixed, our cable was back on, and we were able to breathe a big sigh of relief.
This week was all about the women of Mad Men. I thought it was a mediocre episode overall, but not without some good moments.
Goodbye Ida Blankenship, we hardly knew you. The passing of Ida (at her desk to top it off), while sad, turned into a bit of comedy as the gang of SCDP attempted to conceal her body, and the whole scene was capped off with Megan placing Ida’s purse on her body under the sheet.
Roger took Ida’s death hard and even said that he would rather go out the window and flatten a car than die in the office (shades of the opening credits where we see that man’s silhouette falling out of a building?) I suppose Ida is symbolizing the potential fate of the women of the office that have chosen a professional life over being a stay at home wife and mother. Might they all die in the office one day?
Greg is apparently heading to Vietnam soon, and this, predictably, throws Joan back into Roger’s arms. I’m not sure about the whole mugging scene followed by them in the alley. I didn’t think it was the finest Mad Men moment, but I’ll give them a mulligan here. Mrs. did question whether Joan was going to get pregnant, which would be an interesting turn of events.
Sally was the star of the show today. Running away from Betty, taking the train by herself, is there any doubt that Sally’s going to get in some trouble as she gets older? Loved that she made Don rum laced french toast. He’s trying to cut down on drinking Sally!
What was up with Megan (the receptionist) comforting Sally after she fell in the hall? And she was helping out with the Ida situation. And just helping Don in general. Hmmm . . . hopefully she doesn’t become Don’s new secretary or we might have an Allison repeat.
Good line when Don left Faye in his apartment after their afternoon rendezvous and he told her it was ok because he was taking everything interesting with him. Did he mean the box with his old photos?
I liked how when Betty came to get Sally and all the women were standing around Faye was sizing up Betty.
Good to see Peggy stand up to Abe, but I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of him.
And of course we have the last scene with all of the women (Faye, Joan, and Peggy) in elevator at the end. Was this showing the contrast between Joan the older generation, Peggy the younger generation, and Faye (I guess somewhere between)? Or was it to show that they are all still in the same boat living in a male dominated world? Or was it something different that I completely missed?
Still four episodes to go . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment