September 1, 2010

Read This!: The Unexpected Guest

By Agatha Christie

I haven’t read an AC book in awhile so I decided to give it a go and picked this one out on a random trip to the bookstore. It wasn’t a Miss Marple or Poirot mystery. I knew that from the get go. What I didn’t realize is that it was an adaptation of one of her plays into prose. I was very put out on learning this. However, I still read it.

This story is a classic mystery. The main character Michael Starkwedder finds himself stuck on a lonely country road in Wales during a major fog. Needing help, he approaches a house that is near and, after his knocking receives no answer, opens the door only to find the man of the house dead and his wife holding a gun. Nothing is what it seems in this book and while I was congratulating myself on solving the mystery early, Christie threw in a twist I did NOT see coming. I definitely recommend!

No comments: