By Dashiell Hammett
I am not sure why I read this book. I was looking for something to read and the cover quotes seemed to make it out to be the best detective novel ever written.
It wasn't.
The main character is Sam Spade, a private investigator, in San Francisco in the 1920s. He gets involved with Brigid O'Shaughnessy, Joel Cairo, and a man named Gutman who are all after the priceless artifact: the Maltese Falcon. They will let nothing stop them from attaining it.
I will say I didn't quite see the ending coming but I was bored throughout this book by the detailed fight scenes to the point where I just skipped over them. I think this is more of a man's book. I also got annoyed at the constant 1920s lingo. I am sure this is how people talked at the time but it seemed to me to be contrived and annoying.
Mr. is planning on reading this as well so I would be curious what his opinion is. For such a famous story, I was sorely disappointed. I wouldn't put on my do not read ever list but don't lose any sleep if you never select it off the shelf.
No comments:
Post a Comment