Warning: Contains some spoilers . . .
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest is the third and final installment of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy. Having previously read and reviewed the first two (or else why would I read the third?), I finally finished the series. Unlike the second book in the series, which was an independent story from the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (although all of the main characters are the same and it helps to have the background of the first book since the plot is alluded to several times), The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest is a direct sequel to the previous novel, picking up at the cliffhanger ending of The Girl Who Played With Fire.
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest is the third and final installment of Stieg Larsson’s Millennium trilogy. Having previously read and reviewed the first two (or else why would I read the third?), I finally finished the series. Unlike the second book in the series, which was an independent story from the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (although all of the main characters are the same and it helps to have the background of the first book since the plot is alluded to several times), The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest is a direct sequel to the previous novel, picking up at the cliffhanger ending of The Girl Who Played With Fire.
If you’ve read my previous reviews of the
series you know I wasn’t impressed with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (especially
considering the hype), but I actually really enjoyed the second book. Perhaps my expectations had been sufficiently
lowered going in the second time. With
The Girl Who Played With Fire ending with Lisbeth shot, clinging to life, and
being flown to the nearest emergency room, I was anxious to get back to the
story (not that I actually thought Lisbeth would bite it). The final installment in the series focuses
on Mikael and friends trying to get to the bottom of the government conspiracy
that resulted in Lisbeth being locked in a mental institution against her will
as a teenager, as well as Lisbeth’s fight to clear her name of the murders for
which she’s been framed.
As any good conclusion does, The Girl Who
Kicked The Hornet’s Nest resolves all of the loose ends from the other
books. Like in the first two books there’s
murder, computer hacking, and enough confusing Swedish names to last me for
quite some time. We get more Lisbeth,
although because she’s laid up in the hospital for the majority of the book, we
don’t quite get to see her in action enough (to
the book’s detriment). And we get more
Daniel Craig . . . uhh . . . I mean Mikael, doing his journalist thing and of
course hooking up with a new love interest (a la James Bond). And we get lots and lots of pages full of
detail on Swedish government and history that could definitely use some editing
(the main problem with the whole series).
I enjoyed the book for the most part, and in particular I thought
the courtroom scenes with Mikael’s lawyer sister defending Lisbeth were well
done, but the third book mostly served to complete the story from the second
one (which is still the best in the series).
I’m sure that Larsson meant a lot of this to be social commentary, but I
know little or nothing about Sweden, so it was all lost on me. Overall, the series is worth the read as a
good crime thriller and for the character that is Lisbeth Salander.
Next up: Crime and Punishment by Fyodor
Dostoevsky
No comments:
Post a Comment